Friday, January 5, 2018

Some OEM keys are not actual Windows product keys

I recently worked with a Windows 10 computer that, despite coming straight from the Microsoft-authorized refurbisher, claimed to not have Windows activated. ProduKey showed that it had an OEM key as I expected, but it continued to show an error in the activation section of Settings. Using the phone activation system, I managed to get to the part where I enter the very long installation ID and get a very long confirmation code, but activation still failed even with the code.

After another series of steps through automated systems and discussions with real people, I eventually learned that the product key in use by the machine is actually a public, placeholder product key - the refurbisher didn't install a real key. The Microsoft support person who helped me generated a new product key and installed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment