Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Updating the Ubuntu installation in Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

Recently I had some trouble installing a package inside the Bash on Ubuntu on Windows environment. I found that I needed to update my Ubuntu distribution. As I read in this Super User answer, that can be accomplished with:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

In the process, there will probably be some prompts about replacing altered configuration files. I found that choosing any option other than a simple yes or no (the ones that let you explore the differences between the two config versions) makes it extremely easy to get stuck and unintentionally terminate the whole procedure. When I accidentally did that, I found that just running the upgrade command again mostly picked up from where it left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment