Saturday, January 12, 2019

Exotherm - Playing itself

Recently I wondered about the possibility of having the Exotherm engine play itself. Since it's designed as a FICS bot, the easiest (though perhaps not most efficient) way is to make a copy of the scripts, run both to connect to the FICS, and have one issue the command to play the other. That worked as expected! I watched several games. Sometimes the game ended with an opening trap; sometimes it went through the endgame. There didn't seem to be a large advantage for either color, but the engine isn't super strong yet.

In the future, I could use bot vs. bot games to determine which version of the code is better: make a change and have the modified script play the original version. If I'm going to do that a lot, though, I should probably make a local test harness instead of relying on the FICS.

No comments:

Post a Comment