Sunday, August 9, 2020

Measuring mouse sensitivity

While writing the Super User answer mentioned in yesterday's post, I needed to measure the ratio of physical mouse movement to pointer movement, making sure my 1:1 acceleration curve was actually equivalent to the desired unaccelerated setting. One of the posts I linked supplies a ZIP file which contains a MouseMovementRecorder ZIP file which contains a program that prints every mouse movement. I launched that program, made a very sudden horizontal or vertical mouse movement, and identified an output line with large distances. Dividing the large component of the "pointer movement" column by its counterpart in "mouse movement" produced the desired ratio, 2.5 by default on my system, though it probably varies by DPI. After setting an acceleration curve with a different slope, I measured again to make sure the ratio was scaled by the desired factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment