Thursday, September 12, 2013

Do Not Use - Blackbaud (NetClassroom)

New series time!  In "Do Not Use", I will talk about applications that should not be considered when setting up a new system.  This time, it's Blackbaud, also known as NetClassroom.  Blackbaud is a school management system, so its purpose is to keep track of student grades, assignments, attendance, and other school stuff that only teachers need to worry about.  It does keep track of those things fine, but its interface is just not good.  Turning in an assignment is painful; it requires going through a menu with "Advanced" in the title and other steps.  The authentication system seems to have some sort of problem: the program has forgotten my password at least two times now.  Yes, I am certain I remember it.  Yes, I am certain I am typing it correctly.  Blackbaud forgets user passwords.  In addition to that, it throws some sort of COM error when I try to log in with Chrome on my home computer.  It's impossible to upload files from a Mac because it requires the client to use a Windows common dialog.  Submission of files is done through a strange pop-up window that forces you to navigate through a variety of classification levels before letting you even see the list of things eligible to be turned in.  The teachers also report annoyances with it, which I haven't seen in person but I believe.  Please spare your students and teachers a major hassle and use something like Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, or even Focus for your SIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment