Tuesday, May 6, 2014

FMod - Tech Support

Today, I dealt with two totally unrelated tech support requests for Abiathar. One, I received via e-mail yesterday. That was from somebody new to modding who wanted to know how to make Keen 5 load Abiathar's modified levels. For everybody's reference, this is done by creating a patch file and adding a %maphead directive to load Abiathar's map header, which needs to be with the game maps in the Keen directory.

Then later, on IRC, the author of the amazing in-progress mod Atroxian Realm asked me about migrating to Abiathar from The Omegamatic. After some confusion about version numbers, he was able to report that Abiathar could load the resources for his mod and start to initialize the view state, but then report that it failed to create a dependency file. Since he sent the files to me and I was able to open them fine, I determined that he did not have enough memory to load the maps. The mod does use a lot of unique tiles and his machine is an old WinXP one, so it's not too shocking that a graphics-intensive program like Abiathar can't always run on it. (He was able to open the Keen 4 default maps.) This isn't really a big deal for me, since XP is no longer supported, but I would like to have it run on all computers that TOM does.

No comments:

Post a Comment