Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Calling VoIP Phones on the LAN with Ekiga

I was recently assigned the task of getting a Windows computer to connect to a phone over the network so that the audio received from the phone can be included in a livestream broadcast.

I looked around in the documentation for the phone system that's already on the network, but my organization doesn't seem to have bought a desktop client for our SIP system. After a good deal of research and scratching my head, I discovered Ekiga.

Ekiga is an open-source SIP/VoIP client that works on all manner of platforms. More importantly, it supports dialing by IP address rather than the strange SIP address thing that I still don't understand. Simply prefix the phone's IP with "sip:" in the call destination field and go! The phone will ring and establish a full connection after a person answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment