Saturday, October 3, 2015

Keep My Place in Disconnected Network Folder Structures

I frequently have to browse the directory trees of remote machines, and since mapping a network drive for each place would create a big mess (there are lots of places I need to look at), I have to use double-backslash UNC paths to get where I want. That works great, and I do my work until I need to go somewhere else. I then close my laptop - disconnecting it from the network - and carry it with me. When I reopen it, all the Explorer windows browsing network folders are showing me the Network screen (the list of computers on the domain).

That's rather inconvenient, because there is no indication of what I was doing with that window. It would be really nice if Explorer instead grayed everything and put up a "remote session disconnected" panel that could be clicked to attempt a new connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment