Friday, October 16, 2015

Windows 8 Won't Pin Control Panel Items to Start

I check Windows Update semi-frequently, especially after I install a new device or a large Microsoft program. Windows 8 makes it a bit inconvenient to get to the desktop Windows Update - typing "windows" at the Start screen never makes it bring Windows Update to the top of the list even though "windows update" is the only thing I ever type there that starts with "windows". At least it eventually learns that I prefer the desktop version to the "Check for updates" Metro settings option.

Anyway, I went to pin Windows Update to the Start screen (I had just decided to use the screen for its intended purpose - as a dashboard - and make a "Management" section), but I found that Windows will not allow me to pin a Control Panel entry, even the desktop ones that are basically applications in their own right, to the Start menu. In fact, right-clicking on them in the search results list does nothing at all. Metro settings and files also don't make the pinnability cut, but folders do. Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment