Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Runas.exe not working? "Run as different user" might

I am currently experiencing a strange phenomenon. I'm trying to use runas.exe to run a certain program as a domain user while logged in as a local user on a domain-joined machine. The application launches, but it misbehaves in an unusual fashion. (It wouldn't launch at all if ran as a local user.) However - here's the strange part - it works just fine if I Shift+right-click it and use "Run as different user."

Currently, I'm researching/investigating the difference between runas.exe and that option; the best leads I have at the moment are the /env and /profile (or /noprofile) switches for runas.

I guess what I've learned so far is that "Run as different user" might work if runas.exe doesn't.

Updated 12/24/2015: I solved the mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment