Saturday, January 9, 2016

Robotics - Volunteering Again

Today I volunteered at an FTC league meet, my second FTC volunteer role. This time, I was assigned two roles, Field Inspector and Field Resetter. That was an upgrade from my previous role of Pit Runner.

Field inspection is the process of checking the teams' robots for use in the actual competition. So, the checklist primarily involved verifying communication between the two phones (driver station and robot controller) and testing movement control. We ran out of inspection checklists at one point, but I had a laptop with the PDF version of the rulebook, so I printed some more. The inspection phase was the first three hours of the meet.

The other three hours were the actual matches. One of the game elements is the spread of small plastic cubes and balls across the playing field. My job was to toss a box of these things onto the field before each match and pick them all up afterwards. That last part was made a little tricky by the necessity of splitting the debris pool into two equal collections and throwing one from each side of the field for best uniformity.

Along the way, I helped address some simple questions of team members so that referees didn't have to deal with them.

My legs are sore from all the standing, but I'm glad I helped with the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment