Sunday, January 31, 2016

ClickSend Surprise: Dedicated number not used by default

Today I set up a program that uses ClickSend to automatically send text messages to people from a dedicated phone number I purchased. While setting it up, I encountered a couple surprises.

First, the default SMS setting is to send from a random number in ClickSend's pool. That was a surprise because some of their documentation indicates that the default behavior is to use a single number from their pool that can also be shared by other users.

The second surprise was that, even after I adjusted the above setting, messages continued to be sent from random numbers. After calling ClickSend (several times - I couldn't seem to get an actual engineer on the line), I finally got an e-mail response explaining that the HTTP request has to specify the source number once a dedicated number is purchased. There was no documentation stating that anywhere, but once I made the slight code change, everything was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment