Tuesday, May 3, 2016

EasyAslev

I recently received a request for assistance with Abiathar's single-level format (ASLEV). The format is indeed challenging to implement without the assistance of FMod's compression features; it uses 24-bit LZW. The person who contacted me suggested that I also support a simpler format that just has the level dimensions and then the tile data as 16-bit integers.

That sounded pretty reasonable to me, but since I don't currently have time to polish it up enough for inclusion in Abiathar proper, I threw together a .NET binary that is simultaneously an Abiathar extension and a console program.

With a .exe extension, it takes a file name or mask on the command line and converts those files (assumed to be in the aforementioned simple format) to ASLEV.

With a .aex extension, it adds some menu items to Abiathar. One is a level tool that exports the currently-viewed level as a simple single-level file. The other is an item in the Level menu that opens a simple level and adds it to the first empty slot in the current project.

I'll release this little tool after it gets a bit of testing from the inquirer.

3 comments:

  1. >I'll release this little tool after it gets a bit of testing from the inquirer.

    I was looking for the same option today, to export a raw binary dump of integers. Was EasyAslev released? (I didn't find any later blog articles about it or downloads) Thanks from near Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply! EasyAslev is distributed with KeenRush's Galaxer1 tool: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Galaxer1

      Delete
    2. Thanks. With that, I was able to dump the first level into a simple uint16 array and examine it.

      Delete