Saturday, May 21, 2016

Removing a Blogger page from Google search results

I noticed that a few of my articles are outdated but still ranking higher in Google search results than my up-to-date web site about the topic. Hiding them by reverting them to a draft in Blogger didn't help, even after waiting a few days.

Google documentation suggested using their URL removal tool to get the pages out of the cache. The resulting page confused me for a while - it needed a "web property" to manage, and when I clicked the button to add one, it showed me a list of my blogs, but the only action I could perform on them was to manage them at Blogger, which doesn't seem to have a way to file URL removal requests.

On the blog list screen, I ended up clicking the button to add another property and typing in this blog's URL. It then told me my ownership had already been verified, and it gave me the option to add a new verification method. I declined, and immediately I was shown a Search Console for my blog. That place's Google Index tab has a "Remove URLs" entry, which is what I was looking for. The "Temporarily hide" button adds a new removal request.

No comments:

Post a Comment