Wednesday, December 28, 2016

When the phpBB 3 upgrade fails with 500 Internal Server Error

Today I migrated two phpBB 2 forums to phpBB 3. The first went perfectly smoothly with no unexpected messages at all. The second had a couple apparently non-fatal warnings, but then in the middle of the database upgrade process it just halted with an HTTP 500 error. I could get no useful information out of the log. After hours of fiddling and refreshing and Googling, I found that some posts in the old database were tripping up the parser.

To figure out exactly which ones were problematic, I went into the new database and got the maximum post ID out of the posts table. I then queried for the posts in the old database with an ID starting a little bit before that number. Sure enough, one a little after the last successfully migrated post was insanely long with a bunch of weird markup. After replacing its content with a little note about why I had to remove it, the updater continued successfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment