Sunday, August 20, 2017

Classic Windows Backup is interrupted by hibernation

A month or so ago, I looked into getting a full automated backup for my Windows 10 computer. The clearly recommended choice from the OS is the new Backup section in the modern Settings app, but it didn't seem to want to back up all the folders I specified. Some got backed up and I could see them on the target volume, but others just weren't copied. So I went for the classic Windows 7 Backup and Restore, accessible from the non-immersive Control Panel. That appeared to run as I wanted.

Since my machine has a lot of space used, backup takes quite a while, especially the system image phase. I don't like to leave my machine on overnight, and it's rare for me to stay up late enough for the whole image to finish. I regularly hibernate the machine, but I found once I brought it back into wakefulness that the backup was considered cancelled. That appears to be the major downfall of this strategy - the computer must remain on for the system image to be taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment