Monday, June 10, 2019

Comcast Xfinity routers might not select the best channel automatically

It looks like most people in my apartment complex have a WiFi router in their apartment - there's at least 30 networks in range right now. When I arrived, it was virtually impossible to connect to, much less remain connected with, my network because of all the congestion. The router in my apartment is an Xfinity, which claims to be able to select an appropriate channel automatically. However, using a WiFi inspector app on my phone, I determined that there are many strong signals in the range my network broadcast in. I picked a different channel for the 5 GHz network, which still had several other networks but with weaker signals. I disabled the 2.4 GHz network entirely since connecting to any of the available channels was hopeless. This dramatically improved connectivity: I can now use WiFi normally from anywhere within the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment