Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Intel communication drivers affect Windows audio stuttering, somehow

Recently, seemingly out of nowhere, my Windows 10 laptop's audio started stuttering/glitching every few seconds, regardless of the application producing the sound. A lot of people have encountered similar problems and there doesn't seem to be a consistent fix. After some reading and unsuccessful experimenting I came across a Microsoft Answers thread with a post (by "D Eddy") mentioning the Intel Driver Update Utility. Like that author, I had an outdated Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver. Even though neither audio device I tried (or any of my devices I'm aware of) used Bluetooth, installing that driver somehow fixed the audio problem.

The updater also suggested updates for my WiFi driver and Intel Rapid Storage Technology, but after I tried installing those the Rapid Storage Technology installer failed with an unspecified error and my computer couldn't boot after the restart. (Good thing I had a recent previous Windows version to roll back to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment