Saturday, May 23, 2020

Machine-assisted level design progress

Intermittently over the last few years (!) I've been working on a Keen 5 level pack based on levels generated automatically by Markeen. I have a lot of time over the summer, so I have a chance to make some progress. Previously I had fixed all the major tiling errors in the eighth level and made it largely playable, but I wasn't happy with the flow. It's OK to have some optional areas, but it was very difficult to design a route for the player, given the constraints, that would visit even a third of the level. Looking at it fresh today I thought of a new route that I like a lot. It makes the level less sensical as a physical place, but I think a theme of "space station under construction" salvages it. The foreground is done and I just need to finish decorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment