Wednesday, July 24, 2013

NetBLAM - The First Interaction

NetBLAM is coming along very nicely now that my summer classes (no pun intended) are over.  Today, I made the server and client actually talk to each other.  It took a few hours to get the network connections to work -- who decided to have AutoFlush off by default? -- but once I could actually keep a connection alive, I was able to find and slay a whole legion of bugs.  After connecting to the server, the client is presented with a Server Lobby form that downloads a list of in-progress games after telling the server about the client's name.  Since the networking threads are separate from the UI/main thread, I took a crash course (a.k.a. quickly did a Google search) on delegates and callbacks.  After some reflecty and delegaty stuff, NetBLAM can understand packets.

On integrated servers, only one game is ever available.

No comments:

Post a Comment