Thursday, December 5, 2013

F#

I saw the name of F# in my Visual Studio add-ons dialog today and it made me remember how interesting that language is. I can't write anything it it without extensively using reference material, but it appears very powerful and very well integrated with the CLI. A while ago, I thought it was Microsoft's answer to R, but that does not appear to be the case. It is more like a .NET-compliant version of Haskell with more object-oriented features.

Some of its most interesting abilities are its handlings of the functional pattern. Types are handled in a way less painful than in VB and even more flexibly than in C#. However, the nature of variables and assignments to them seems a little bit strange, at least from my VB perspective.

Who should use F#? I'm not sure, to be honest. It does look like a good language to know should you ever stumble upon an amazing possible use of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment