Sunday, December 29, 2013

FMod - Galaxy Levels

With basically all the Vorticons resources done, I figured it was time to move on to Galaxy modding. As I started in Vorticons with levels, I figured it would be good to do that with Galaxy as well. The game maps file is just a single file containing multiple levels, so I created two classes: one for the collection and one for a single level. With a new format came (of course) another compression method, this one called Carmack. It's very easy to decompress, but considerably difficult to compress. Fortunately, unlike LZW, it doesn't have to be compressed to maximum efficiency.

The decompressor appears to work well and my temporary compressor just escapes the flags instead of actually compressing. It can load all the level information from maphead and the individual headers in gamemaps, but I'm still uncertain as to whether it is reading level data correctly. Due to an issue with my handling of unsigned integers, resaving the maps collection does not work at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment