Monday, December 22, 2014

FMod - Did You Know?

Today, in addition to starting my Music Appreciation winterim class, I continued working on what will be the v2.2.1 Abiathar update. From talking with an important user on IRC, I discovered some problems with the Patches dialog, which I thought was extremely simple! Apparently, his patch file's size exceeds the TextBox default max length of 32KB, so I increased the limit to 1MB, which should be more than enough for everyone. Also, the TextBox control does not by default make Ctrl+A select all, so I had to add that feature manually.

Then, I actually did something with the "did you know" tip boxes that I implemented yesterday. I wrote a collection of helpful tips, one of which is randomly chosen and displayed at start-up. Since the overlay is actually another form, I had to make keypresses on it forward to the main form. Then I discovered that when it passes the handling onto the main form, the dialog boxes created in the press handling are owned by the tip form, which destroys itself after a few seconds, taking the dialogs with it. So, I had to manually pass the main form to every ShowDialog call.

Some of the tools also show tips when they are first activated. Unfortunately, some of them are so extraordinarily complicated that useful help can only be found in the documentation. For those, I may need to pop off a live assistance pane.

No comments:

Post a Comment