Saturday, February 7, 2015

Do Not Use - Strange Form-Factor PCs

Today, I had to deal with an HP Pavilion Slimline 400 that would only power on intermittently despite passing all PSU tests. Though I'm fairly sure the power supply unit is OK, I spent some time researching a replacement. What I discovered is that the Slimline 400 with its half-widthness is the only PC model ever to use this style of power supply. I went to a computer store with a bajillion different types of PSUs, but all the normal ones (and crazy ones) they had were always slightly different than this one, different enough to not work.

Previous experiences just reinforce my irritation with PCs with strange form factors or cases. It just makes maintenance and upgrade more difficult. Also, it's super difficult to find parts that fit the special arrangement of the case. Sure, it's not very original, but you know why there are so many generic beige-box PCs?

They work.

No comments:

Post a Comment