Saturday, February 6, 2016

Hyper-V: "No boot entries"

I created a Windows 10 VM with Hyper-V today, and I noticed that its settings seemed to have no way to set a boot order. The machine was Generation 2, and no "BIOS" entry was to be found in the Hardware category. Under "Firmware", there was a message stating "No boot entries", despite a bootable ISO being in the virtual DVD drive. When I tried starting the machine, the PXE firmware appeared.

I did some Googling and was unable to turn up anything relevant. Waiting for a while, however, resulted in the VM booting from the DVD after it gave up on the network. Later, once the OS got installed, an entry did appear in the Firmware section, but is not editable. That's rather strange, and I'm not sure how to change this VM's boot order, but at least patience let it start.

1 comment:

  1. What I have found is removing and re-install of Hyper-V role gave back the options under firmware.

    ReplyDelete