Saturday, January 7, 2017

FMod - Moving away from Dropbox

Dropbox recently announced that it's removing the Public folder feature; all sharing will now be done through individually managed links. That's a serious problem for Abiathar updates, since Abiathar requires files to have predictable names and those links include a big random component. Therefore, I'll be stopping my use of Dropbox for Abiathar hosting.

Since I recently purchased some hosting for the PCKF and Keen Modding, I can use that. Today I copied the Abiathar files from my Dropbox to that server and changed the Abiathar code to look for updates in the new place. I currently have the files accessible at a subdomain, but I'll probably move them to a subdirectory instead so that if I get an SSL certificate for the forum, the updates will also be secured.

1 comment:

  1. An AWS S3 bucket (perhaps combined with CloudFront as a CDN) might be a good option too.

    You could also get a wildcard certificate for your domain.

    Be sure to check out https://letsencrypt.org/

    ReplyDelete