Sunday, April 30, 2017

Export-WindowsImage preserves ESD format

Today I was converting an ESD file to a WIM so I could poke around inside it. Since I was in a PowerShell prompt, I figured I'd use the fancy DISM cmdlets instead of running the DISM executable. So I used Export-WindowsImage to extract the image of interest from the ESD. But when I tried to mount it with Mount-WindowsImage or with the appropriate switch of dism.exe, I got the error "an attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

Strangely, using the export feature of the DISM program created a WIM that could be mounted successfully with either method. I conclude that the PowerShell cmdlet made another ESD file instead of a WIM (despite me giving it a file path ending with .wim), which can't be mounted directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment