Monday, September 8, 2014

Robotics - Team Allocation

Today was the first official meeting of Rivermont Collegiate's two robotics teams. This also included the unveiling of the team allocations, which allegedly required a conference of four teachers deciding (based on skills and personality types?) how to best equalize the teams and promote communication in and between them. Apparently, whoever made the teams decided to not actually execute the plan of having a "super-team" of skilled veterans and a "newbie team" for the new people to learn at their own pace without bothering the experienced people too much.

We also started taking inventory. We have quite a few tools, motors, and especially LED lights (Why? We had extra money in the budget, I guess), but an alarming shortage of pristine building materials. The field this year is fairly complicated, so we will also have to devote quite a bit of time to building that. I imagine I will be on that task force because my part - programming - doesn't come in until the robot is built; the designers can design while the others prepare the field. I will need to set up the Samantha and Wi-Fi situation, though. Oh, and apparently our coach wants us to use Microsoft OneDrive to manage documents and schedules. I imagine I'll be in charge of that.

Overall, I am pleased with my team. It's small and contains a lot of people I know (including two other very skilled veterans), so we should do well.

1 comment: