Monday, January 19, 2015

OEM Function Keys, and Their Horribleness

I have been using a school-issued low-end Lenovo ThinkPad for about four months now, and it's a pretty good machine considering the $300 price tag. There is, however, one issue with the laptop that annoys me to no end:

They made all the function keys do some weird OEM thing, and to access the real function of the key, I have to hold the Fn key in the lower left of my keyboard.

Easily accessible volume controls are nice, but I would much rather have access to the rename key (F2), find-next key (F3), or an important part of the application-terminating sequence (F4). Every function key is brazenly overwritten with some obscure function like enabling or disabling the integrated camera or microphone.

I strike the F5 key with exceedingly high frequency. I do not appreciate my attempt to refresh the page producing the bundleware camera management thing. Sure, it's not too much of a stretch for my hand to hold down that Fn key for most functions, but it just requires more contortion and wasted time. Also, I guess I'm just hosed if I ever need to open web developer tools quickly (F12); my hand doesn't stretch that far.

OEMs: Please just stop. I do not appreciate your bundleware thrown up in my face. All I want is what I expect on any normal machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment