Sunday, September 11, 2016

When Hyper-V machines fail to start with error 32791

Today, after upgrading the configuration version of a Hyper-V virtual machine, I found that it would no longer start. Specifically, it just gave the error number 32791. I consulted the Admin event log under the Hyper-V-Worker category and found event 12010, which gives a more useful error:

"The chain of virtual hard disks is corrupted. There is a mismatch in the identifiers of the parent virtual hard disk and differencing disk."

Googling that error message brought me to a useful blog post. My virtual disk was already as small as possible, but forcibly re-linking the snapshot (AVHDX) to the parent VHDX fixed the problem. That step can be accomplished by clicking Edit Disk in the Hyper-V Manager, opening the AVHDX, choosing Reconnect, and checking the box that says Ignore ID mismatch. There is a warning about possible data loss, but since I legitimately had the correct, most recent differencing disk for the main virtual disk, no data loss occurred.

25 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot, i was able to fix exact issue i was facing with my hyper-v

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you VERY much! This helped me resolve the issue I was having - you are a life-saver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A life was saved today thanks to you :) thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks "Ben N" for helping! I have error 32791.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This solved my issue! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ! This helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly three Years later, still a live saver :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much. This was so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did the trick. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. same here, problem resolved thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot!!! It still work for me in 2020

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANX MAN. YOU'VE JUST SAVES MY TIME AS WELL AS MENTAL.
    FOR WHO DIDNT FIND IT USEFUL : FIRST SELECT .VHDX FILE which is smaller in size AND second time choose the actual virtual disk file which is larger in size. thank you! (i was doing the same mistake when i firstly read this article) !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for solving my issue 5 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was very helpful.. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another life saved in Romania. Thanks a lot Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 5 years on and you're comment is still saving people from some serious stress!! Thanks for the advice Ben, it really helped me out :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Worked for me too! :D Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete