Friday, September 30, 2016

Abiathar incorrectly detected as malware by Windows Defender

I just updated my laptop to Windows 10 v1611 today. Soon after, I got a notification from Dropbox on my desktop noting that several dozen files had been deleted from my Dropbox folder. That seemed odd, so I went to the Dropbox website to look at the event history. All the deletions were of my various copies and versions of Abiathar.exe and unlzexe.exe. When I restored them from the website, the laptop started producing notices from Windows Defender, saying that those files had been detected as malware: Win32/Rundas!plock.

Abiathar is definitely legitimate, and we've been over the UNLZEXE issue before. I suspect the new Windows Defender definitions don't like Abiathar's auto-update feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment