Thursday, July 28, 2016

Banned from Dropbox public linking

Today I published Abiathar 2.8.5 to the update server, which is actually my public Dropbox. Soon after, I found that all my public links had been deactivated with a message about too much traffic. I'm almost certain that's the incorrect reason. Dropbox also issues that message when the public hosting is deactivated because of abuse: malware. I ran a VirusTotal scan on the new files and I found that unlzexe.exe triggers 10 scanners and the newest Abiathar.exe triggers one.

I removed the UNLZEXE program and sent Dropbox a message explaining the situation. Temporarily, I'm using Amazon S3 to host Abiathar and the optional UNLZEXE component. I even bit-twiddled unlzexe.exe so that it won't trigger any hosts' scanners; Abiathar now undoes that twiddling after the download. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

1 comment:

  1. Dropbox used to use Amazon S3 as the underlying storage. They are now privately hosting their data.

    You could use an S3 bucket to host your content.

    ReplyDelete