Thursday, July 21, 2016

If phpBB3 is broken, try disabling text formatting features

I continued tinkering with my phpBB3 installation today, and I discovered upon trying to create a subforum that some text features are broken. When I clicked the button to submit my new subforum, I got an error spew telling me that the /e flag of preg_replace is deprecated, which it is. Apparently, the BBCode and smilies parser hasn't been updated yet. So I just turned both of those things off for the whole forum, and that let me create my subforum.

Then I went to create a test post, and no matter what I did, it failed with a message that I hadn't typed enough characters. A warning at the top of the page informed me that I was running into the same problem. Checking the box that disables automatic URL linkifying let me post, but I couldn't find a way to disable that automatically for everyone. So I whacked posting.php to always pretend that check box is set appropriately. And now I have a working forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment