Tuesday, July 19, 2016

When MDT asks for a deployment share path or credentials

Today I ran a few deployments from an MDT setup I had finished some weeks back. On a couple of those in a certain location in the building, MDT produced a window at startup asking for a path to a deployment share, and after I entered it, credentials to connect, which it then didn't accept. (I had set all of that in the various configuration places, and those settings had worked on many machines.)

A little research from investigating previous problems indicated that sometimes MDT doesn't wait long enough for the network. Since I didn't want to fiddle around with the VBS scripts, I did my best to work in the already-booted MDT setup environment. I finally discovered that when this problem occurs (or when MDT hangs/vanishes), running this command in a command prompt - press F8 - helps:

bddrun /bootstrap

That just starts the MDT process fresh while keeping any network connections. The old process stays around, but will be ended when the system reboots. bddrun is in System32, so you'll need to cd there if you start anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment