Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Robotics - Infuriating Controllers

The robotics team finally found the charger for the battery pack, so we used today's meeting to test my controller-operated mobility code. The first few tries failed due to the battery being wired incorrectly (backwards). After that, the wheels started spinning despite not having been activated by the controller. That went on for another few tries until I did some checking with the debug window and discovered that the X/Y roller things had small non-zero even when at rest. To fix that, I added an epsilon function that would return zero if the input was too insignificant. While continuing to check out the controller debug window, I found that the buttons were not mapped how I thought. It took about 20 minutes to determine that the controller was in Xbox mode, not desktop mode. Once that was fixed, the rest of the meeting was comprised of my being very upset at the robot inexplicably continuing to activate motors without my consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment