Sunday, October 20, 2013

Windows 8.1

If you haven't already heard, Windows 8.1 is out! If you already have Windows 8, you can get it for free from Microsoft in the Windows Store. The upgrade leaves files and user settings alone, so there's nothing to worry about. Installation was exceedingly simple; all I had to do was press the download button and it started going to town. After about half an hour, my computer rebooted and spent another half hour in the BIOS doing all manner of interesting things. Then I encountered a problem. It froze at "Getting devices ready". However, unplugging my USB devices for a few seconds fixed the problem. The rest of the installation went smoothly. It was fun getting to do some of the initial set-up again. I can't really see any differences besides the Start button, a different metro background, and that "Computer" in File Explorer was changed to "This PC".

No comments:

Post a Comment