Tuesday, August 12, 2014

FMod - Sound Setup

I finished the FMod (FleexCore) class for the audio files today after some intense debugging. Previously, it was able to save without crashing, but some (and only some) of the AdLib sounds in the game were messed up. All the PC speaker sounds and IMF music were fine; it was just the AdLib ones that caused trouble. After tearing through ModdingWiki documentation and screenfuls of hexadecimal, I discovered that my code had two major bugs. I was loading the octave ID in the wrong order and totally forgetting to write it back. The result: a shifted note sequence at an essentially random octave offset. That was fixed easily after it was identified, and I moved on to actual GUI for this feature.

The first order of business is to associate the sound files with the dependency file. Since I don't want to tack that on to the New Project Wizard, it goes into the Edit menu. Actually, I'm planning on having two different screens relating to audio: one for managing sound chunks (and adding tracks) and the other for assigning music to levels (possibly eventually with the ability to assign in-game level names). Since you'll have to link audio resources before using either, I'll just throw up the Sound Setup dialog on first use of either. I designed and coded that dialog today, but I still need to make a place in the local config file for the audio files.

No comments:

Post a Comment