Sunday, October 26, 2014

Crushers - Polish That

I have been pretty stressed lately, and playing my old arcade-style game Crushers has been a really awesome way to relax. I consider it my best production, but it is currently in a state of half-brokenness because I ran out of time a few months ago while I was doing lots of updating/refactoring. With crosscountry done and another unit of communication class almost over, I want to use a little of my free time for a few days to polish Crushers.

Currently, it has a bug in which blocks are sometimes spawned not aligned to the usual 16x16 grid, which causes weird glitches, teleporting, and disappearance when they collide with another block. I have a pretty good idea of how to fix it, but it will take a little bit of time to go through the block spawning code (which needs a good refactor anyway).

Additionally, since I and pretty much everybody else have widescreen monitors (16:9 aspect ratio), there are blank black bars to the left and right of the Crushers game area. Adjusting the view properties to use a widescreen size will be trivial.

Some adjustments need to be made to the suffocation mechanic, like having the air particles track the player when he is in a 1-wide hole. It could also benefit from a dynamic grid of oxygen sources , but that's a pretty advanced programming thing.

The antigrav dimension could use some work, like being rebalanced to not be a guaranteed death trap. It could also be incentivized, maybe with some score bonuses for being in it or diminishing returns in the normal dimension.

I have other grand ideas, but for now I want to get bugs fixed and get the full v2.5 out.

No comments:

Post a Comment