Sunday, October 19, 2014

Windows 95 Network Fonts Folder Bug

While transferring files from a Windows 95 machine to a Windows 95 VM, I discovered a very curious bug. I needed to grab all the fonts from the machine and put them in the VM, so I used Explorer to access the machine's fonts folder via LanMan. The two computers appeared to have the exact same set of fonts when I looked at it on one screen (one window at the local folder and one on remote), but the real machine had far more when I looked at its fonts folder at the real workstation.

I accessed the VM's fonts folder over the network from the real machine, and it showed the same fonts on both computers - but with an entirely different and much larger set of fonts! Apparently, accessing any folder that is configured via desktop.ini to be the Fonts folder will produce the Fonts dialog without regard for which computer it is on.

The workaround was to copy all the font files over via a command prompt, which doesn't do any special shell-folders stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment