Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Markeen level polishing project

Markeen is getting pretty decent at generating Keen 5 levels. As of yet, though, it hasn't actually been used for anything other than making pretty pictures for some people to look at. So I figured polishing up some Markeen-generated levels would be a good way to create my "own" levels without spending huge amounts of time building from nothing.

I started by profiling the default Keen 5 levels to a depth of 3, then using editprof noadj to discourage Markeen from placing certain obviously incompatible pairs of tiles next to each other. Then I used that profile to generate 100 starting points. Since Markeen is far from perfect, a lot of those levels are a mess, so I went through and deleted all the ones that would take too much time to salvage. That left me with 22 candidates. By default, Keen 5 only has 13 levels, so I could easily get away with making fewer than 22 of my own. One of my goals is to preserve as much of Markeen's "creativity" as possible, so I want to avoid having to place the fuse machines myself. Unfortunately, only 4 of the 5 were used anywhere in the 100 levels, but a couple of those 4 were used multiple times, so I'll probably use one of the levels containing an extra and just swap out the duplicate machine for the missing one.

So far, I've polished one level. It started like this:


And now looks like this:


With its linearity and lack of switches, doors, and keys, it's a good choice for a first level. This refinement only took about two hours including all the fine-tuning of the secret areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment