Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Creating Group Policy Settings with ADMX Migrator

I recently found myself wanting to add Group Policy options for one of my applications, so I looked up the ADM and ADMX formats, the files used by the Group Policy Management Editor to load administrative templates. Those formats are both really tricky, and I don't really want to do manual XML/text editing.

After some research, I discovered the confusingly named ADMX Migrator, which was created by FullArmor and is available through Microsoft. It is, for some reason, an MMC snap-in, but the "ADMX Migrator" entry it adds to the Start menu works just fine for launching a new console containing it.

ADMX Migrator can, as the name implies, convert ye olde ADM files to the new ADMX style. More interestingly, it can create new ADMX+ADML files. It has a nice enough GUI for doing that, and a help file (which integrates with MMC help). Those files can then be dropped into the PolicyDefinitions folder to add the settings to the Administrative Templates category.

Definitely a helpful tool. I have and will continue to make use of it.

Download ADMX Migrator (same as first link above).

No comments:

Post a Comment