Tuesday, June 7, 2016

How Candy Crush interferes with Windows deployment

One step in the Windows imaging and deployment process is to use Sysprep to generalize the machine (immediately before capturing the image). Today, however, I received an error saying:
Sysprep was not able to validate your Windows installation. Review the log file at %WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther\setupact.log for details. After resolving the issue, use Sysprep the validate your installation again.
I hear that this error can appear when the installation was upgraded rather than installed cleanly. That wasn't my situation though. Looking at setuperr.log in the folder mentioned by the error, I saw an app name clearly mentioned: Candy Crush. Evidently, Sysprep really doesn't like it when a modern app is installed for one user but not technically provisioned. After uninstalling Candy Crush from its context menu from the Start menu's programs list, I ran Sysprep again. It failed, this time mentioning Twitter. So I removed the Twitter app, and it worked.

So that's how Candy Crush interfered with my Windows deployment today. Also, I didn't know that Candy Crush or Twitter were installed by default in Windows 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment