Friday, June 10, 2016

When a folder looks empty from the network but has files

I just saw an interesting thing. A folder appeared to be empty when viewed from a different computer on the network, but had files in it when viewed on the local machine. I made sure both computers were showing hidden files, but that shouldn't have mattered because I was using dir /a in an administrative command prompt.

The administrativeness of that prompt mattered because the folder in question was only accessible to administrators. I understood what was going on when I remembered that UAC always limits the tokens that result from non-domain network authentication. (I was just accessing a different computer on a workgroup with username and password.) It's kind of bizarre that I just got an empty directory listing rather than an error, but that's how it is, apparently.

Changing the security settings on that folder let me access it from the network.

No comments:

Post a Comment