Friday, June 24, 2016

Web hosting on Amazon S3

I've been looking around for web hosting - just a place to store a few static files accessible under a normal domain I bought - and a friend mentioned Amazon S3. S3 is a highly scalable file storage service with a price that's fully determined by how much data is stored and transferred. Since I'll only use a tiny amount of data, my price is a bit of loose change per year, and the first year is completely free.

I followed the setup instructions for websites, which involved setting S3 nameservers as authoritative for my domain and adding a few entries to my Route 53 (Amazon DNS) dashboard. Once the nameserver change went through, I had a website. Updating it is as simple as uploading some files into the appropriate bucket.

Highly recommended, at least from what I've experienced so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment