Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Introducing Policy Plus

The tool used to adjust Group Policy settings on a local machine, the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), only works on Pro or Enterprise editions of Windows. You can find Things On The Internet that let you get an old version (judging by the icons) of the tool on Home editions, but that's legally dubious. Therefore, I think it would be good to create a similar program that's free of licensing/edition issues and has more features. Specifically, I'd like these additional capabilities:

  • Search for policy settings by Registry entry
  • Show the Registry modifications made by a policy
  • Edit the local Registry or a .POL file
  • Show what items (e.g. products, policies) are defined in each ADMX file
  • Load ADMX files from user-defined sources
I don't have a name for the program yet, but its working title is Policy Plus. Today I created the GitHub repository for it, chose a license - Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 - and created a Visual Studio project. I also reviewed the .POL format again. The first thing to do, I think, is implement an ADMX/ADML loader.

No comments:

Post a Comment