Wednesday, June 8, 2016

When the Windows System Image Manager fails catalog creation with 0xC1420127 or 0xC1420117

I am currently in the process of setting up an unattended installation of Windows 10. Therefore, I'm using the System Image Manager to create the Unattend.xml file, and to do that, I need a catalog file that corresponds to the WIM I'm deploying. The SIM can generate a catalog from a WIM, but in my case, it failed with codes 0xC1420127 or 0xC1420117, depending on what I tried. Eventually, I discovered that for the SIM to create a catalog, you need to satisfy three conditions:
  • Use install.wim from the \sources folder on the original installation media. A captured WIM does not work because, evidently, it doesn't actually contain the stuff that goes into a catalog.
  • Update your ADK to the version corresponding to the OS you want to deploy. I had previously deployed Windows 8.1, but there's a new version for Windows 10.
  • Clear all subkeys from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIMMount\Mounted Images that do not correspond to currently-mounted images.
Also, rebooting can't hurt.

1 comment:

  1. thanks! I had a mounted WIM suck in registry, never knew about that key, solved my issues with MDT and WSIM

    ReplyDelete