Friday, August 19, 2016

Policy Plus - Keyboard friendliness

I realized today that I never explicitly set tab order for any of Policy Plus's forms, so the focus goes all over the place when the user presses Tab. Also, I hadn't put any effort into keyboard navigability, so dialog boxes couldn't be closed with Escape.

So I fixed both of those things. All forms have a reasonable tab order, and it should be possible to do anything imaginable using only the keyboard. Pressing Enter on the policy list, for instance, simulates a double-click on the currently selected item. Even the dynamically created controls in the setting editor dialog have a tab order assigned at creation.

It turns out tree view controls have keyboard shortcuts, which is a great little Windows feature that I just learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment