Sunday, August 7, 2016

Policy Plus - Setting editor UI assembly

Yesterday, I forgot to mention that I also changed the State text calculation method's behavior when both user and computer policies are shown. Policies that only appear in one section now always show the section in the State column, even if they're Not Configured. Previously, such policies would show up as "Not Configured (2)" despite applying to only one section.

Notice the parenthesized section IDs
Then I continued adding the presentation elements to the dynamically generated setting editor UI. All element types are supported now, even <comboBox>, which isn't used and therefore isn't tested yet. Getting everything to line up and size properly was an immensely fiddly experience, especially with checkboxes that have text that might span multiple lines. Controls that have labels (texts that aren't actually separate elements) are added in FlowLayoutPanel instances. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with arbitrary on-the-fly resizing, so the size of stuff just has to be calculated once.

The setting editor dialog
Along the way, I found an omission or two in the loaded structures. Those are fixed now.

I got worried for a moment when I remembered the soft attribute (which is supposed to make the element's value not overwrite an existing Registry entry) because implementing it would require huge changes to my model, but then I saw that it's completely unused in the default ADMX files, probably because it's impossible to implement.

The changes are live on GitHub.

No comments:

Post a Comment