Sunday, August 7, 2016

Policy Plus - Presentation time

The next step for Policy Plus is to have a way to actually change the policy settings. Today I started putting together the setting editor dialog. While doing that, I found that the presentation object wasn't attached to the compiled policy object, so I updated the various loaders slightly to fix that. There's also now an ElementType field on policy and presentation elements, which will help when the setting editor needs to create UI elements from them. (I have it working for plain labels so far.)

I also noticed that one policy showed up as a preference in Policy Plus but not in the real Group Policy Editor. Evidently, there are more locations for policies that I didn't know about, like System\CurrentControlSet\Policies. It's also possible that any key involving "Policies" counts; I'll have to look into that.

Some policies are apparently defined in their ADMX files as two separate but exactly identical policies - one for computers and one for users - despite there being an easy way to have a policy apply to both sections. I wrote a deduplicator menu option, and it works, but the way it rearranges things could make the development of future features more difficult, so this ability might get removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment