Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Windows 10 upgrade broke one of my Hyper-V machines

I did an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 Pro a while back. Shortly after that, I went to the Hyper-V Manager to start a couple of the VM's I've put together over time. One of them refused to start, citing a failure to load an AVHDX file. Some Google results suggested deleting the saved state, but that VM had no saved state. Upgrading the configuration version did nothing. All useful changes to the VM's settings failed because of the inability to load the virtual hard disk. I tried deleting the checkpoints (which seemed to be the locus of the problem), but got the same error.

None of the Things On The Internet that I could find worked. Since it wasn't a super important VM, I just deleted it and reinstalled it fresh from the ISO I still had.

No comments:

Post a Comment